Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Holiday breaks

Learning a language is a tricky business. Learning a dead language is a trickier business. One of the roadblocks making it harder is that dead languages are taught in school—whether in a formal school or a home school. It isn't something one learns naturally like, say, French. There's TV in French. Movies. Radio. Restaurants. Other people. All sorts of ways to learn French that have nothing to do with school.

Latin is different that way. It typically happens in a school like setting. However, language is like math in one special way. Both need daily work to keep you from forgetting the newest concepts you've learned. I can add but not solve differential equations. I assure you, I passed a college-level calculus class and could at one time. Same with stuff like Genitive case, if you are a beginner.

So what's to be done? Well, I suppose it depends on your student. Kids who are pretty motivated to learn Latin will be too happy to spend loads of time working on Latin. They're easy, because they'll just do it. Kids who are less motivated may need some encouragement to spend some daily time with Latin. I'd tell you how to motivate them to spend five minutes each day working on Latin over a school break, but I haven't the first clue.

Drop me a comment and tell me your dirty and not-so-dirty tricks to get the unmotivated to sacrifice a few minutes on school breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment